Monday, August 15, 2011

stuck in paradise

From Honolulu, we traveled to Hilo, an island I had visited before.  While in Hilo I once again visited Kilauea, one of the most active volcanoes on the planet, it has been erupting since 1983.  This would be my second tour of the volcano.  I went along to see some lava tubes and hear the tour and the story of Pele, the volcano goddess once again.

We returned to the ship excited for our departure in another day, only to find out that due to tropical storms in the Pacific Ocean, our ship would return to Honolulu and sit there for about 36 hours in order to let the storms pass.

For the 2nd time in my life, I was stuck in paradise.  I know your thinking, why are you complaining, I can think of worst places to be stuck in than 86 degree Honolulu, Hawaii.  I assure you I realize that, however after 100 days on this journey and being so close to being home, it was just "I wanted to get home"!  There I said it.

My extra day in Hawaii was really uneventful.  I spent it lazily laying on the beach taking in the sun and the air and the sounds of surf boarders and I appreciated another Hawaiian sunset.  Some of the more adventurist students went to the other side of the island to witness a once in a life time competition, A legendary big wave surfing contest, the Quicksilver in Memory of Eddie Aikau, was held for the first time since 2004, waves had to reach a minimum of 40 feet in order to host this competition.  They came back to the ship enthralled with what they saw.  It was all just great.


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1234047/Surfs-biggest-waves-years-come-Hawaii-North-Pacific-storm.html

Next stop San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment