Monday, August 15, 2011

Hiroshima

I am writing this entry almost 2 years after I visited Hiroshima.

On August 6, 1945 at 8:15 A.M. the United States dropped a nuclear bomb on this capital city.  Devastating it and the surrounding area.


I visited this city and saw first hand some of the monuments that still stand, a tribute to a day and time that should never be relived.


I also visited the Museum, dedicated to eradicating the use of atomic/nuclear weapons.  It was quite a site to see.  The images and stories of the people captured within are forever embedded in my mind.    Which is the primary reason it has taken me this long to write this post.  When as a human being you are exposed to the atrocities that have been inflicted on other human beings, in the name of your own rights it is hard to come to terms with it.  As a resident of the United States of America, it is an inheritance that I have fully been able to benefit from yet when faced with the responsibility to understand, It has been a hard pill to swallow.  War is not easy, and seeing first hand the decimation that took place in a country half way around the world was a bit much and still all too real.


I ramble so I will stop.  Here is more information on Hiroshima. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshima

No comments:

Post a Comment